5 Toxic Food For Cats

Cats are special animals, and their health is just as important to you as yours. So you should do everything possible to keep your cat healthy and happy. But what about the foods that can make them sick? Read on for five dangerous food for cats, so you know which ones to avoid feeding your pet.

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic are toxic to cats. Cats cannot smell or taste the toxins in onions and garlic, so it’s easy for a cat to eat too much onion or garlic without being sick. However, if a cat eats just a small amount of onion/garlic, it will likely not be affected by it.

Onions and garlic are found in many foods that you eat, such as soups, sauces, dips and even some fruits like applesauce (which has been known to cause stomach upset). As long as you keep your kitty out of these things he should be fine!

As per Vetster, “These veggies damage RBCs, and eating them enough can cause hemolytic anemia.”


Chocolates are another common culprit of poisoning in cats. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, which can be toxic to cats. Cats who eat a small amount of chocolate may become ill within 12 hours, while larger amounts can cause symptoms within six hours.

The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is for felines; milk chocolate and white chocolates tend to be less harmful than dark versions such as baker’s or semisweet chips or cocoa powder.

Milk and milk products

Milk and milk products are high in protein, but cats are lactose intolerant. This means they can’t digest the sugar in milk, which causes an upset stomach and vomiting. If your cat has a dairy allergy, this may lead to diarrhea as well. However, cats who drink too much milk can also become dehydrated because they’ll lose more fluid than normal through their stool.

The best way to avoid these side effects is by eliminating dairy from your cat’s diet—this includes cheese, yogurt and any other food that contains dairy products (like ice cream).


Grapes and raisins are toxic to cats. In fact, they’re more sensitive than dogs to the toxin they contain, called cyanide. The problem is that cyanide can build up in the cat’s body over time, causing symptoms such as vomiting, lack of appetite and lethargy.

The amount of grapes or raisins it takes to cause symptoms depends on the individual cat: some may only need one serving, while others need several servings before they get sick. For example, if your cat has eaten grapes or raisins (or any other toxic food), contact your veterinarian immediately!


Caffeine is a stimulant that can cause anxiety, restlessness and hyperactivity. Some cats may exhibit vomiting and diarrhea when exposed to caffeine.

While some people may be comfortable feeding their cat coffee or tea on occasion, they recommend against doing so for health reasons. For example, if you do decide to give your cat a treat containing caffeine, make sure it is only a small amount (no more than 2-3 teaspoons per day) and always provide plenty of water so that your pet can dilute the effects of the caffeinated beverage.

Cats are very much like you. They don’t like to eat things that taste bad, and they’re not going to chew down on something that makes them feel sick. So the best way to keep your cat healthy is by giving him regular meals that contain all the nutritional requirements he needs for a happy life.

Related Articles

Back to top button