Who doesn’t love aromatic spicy piri piri chicken? These scrumptious chicken legs would definitely have people asking for seconds, due to piri- piri. Now you can also make lip-smacking piri- piri chicken wraps at your home by following the complete guide. To get the perfect taste, which is possible if the marinade fully gets penetrated inside chicken wraps. Piri-piri chicken is originally from Portugal and Africa, when Portuguese settlers arrived with chile pepper, the dish was created in Angola and Mozambique. The perfect blend of spices creates a divine taste in your mouth, as covered in chilli-based coating.
What is Piri-Piri Chicken?
Piri piri chicken wraps is covered in a chilli-based paste or sauce which is usually grilled whole chicken pieces. This traditional Portuguese dish is known as piri-piri chicken. Piri piri which is truly a slow food, when made in its most traditional way. Now you get a modified taste for simplicity in your home kitchen with a different taste and exciting food. One could find in northern African and southern Portugal, the sauce or paste use African Bird’s Eye Chili.
Can you Cook Perfect Piri Piri Chicken?
Here is an effective procedure which might help you in cooking a perfect piri-piri chicken.
Ingredients (2-4 servings)
- Butter (3 tablespoons)
- Garlic cloves (2 minced)
- Cilantro (3 tablespoons)
- Hot pepper sauce/ piri piri sauce (2 tablespoon)
- Lemon juice (2 tablespoon)
- Shallot, peeled and quartered (1 large)
- Virgin olive oil (1/4 cup for brushing on a pan)
- Koshar salt (1 tablespoon)
- Black pepper (1 tablespoon)
- Pound chicken (1/2- to 4, backbone removed, flat opened)
- Disposable aluminium baking pan Sauce ingredients
- Red Thai chilies
- Lemon juice
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Sweet or smoked pepper
- Olive oil
- Piri-piri sauce (you can also use it, piri-piri sauce is available in the market)
- Preheat the pan, at a medium temperature. In a saucepan, pour olive oil or melt butter.
- Now, about 2 minutes, cook until garlic begins to brown, after adding garlic and cilantro.
- Stir it around the pan, to avoid paste getting burned, add the piri-piri sauce into it. Add some lemon juice, reduce the heat to medium low.
- You can add chilli and cover the pan, then rewarm before using. Its better to prepare the batter about a day ago.
- Add garlic, shaltot, ginger, and chopped cilantro finely in a processor. Process marinade to blend, coarse salt, lemon juice, ¼ cup oil and piri-piri sauce. Now blend the marinade carefully.
- Place chicken on a baking dish. If you feel a need to press on a breastbone to flatten chicken, don’t be hesitant to press piri-piri chicken with the palm of your hand.
- Now, into an 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish, you can pour half of the marinade. Place skin side down in a single layer in a dish, open chicken like a book (in a baking dish). Keep on turning chicken occasionally, cover and chill at least 4 hours or for an overnight. You can pour the rest of the marinade over the chicken in piri-dish.
- You can remove the top rack from the barbecue and place piri-chicken. Light 1 burner, if using 2-burner gas grill, also prepare barbecue (medium heat). Do not light the centre burner, using a 3-burner gas grill.
- Pour onto 1 side of lower grill rack, after using charcoal grill and light briquettes in the chimney. Similarly, on the unlit part of the grill, place a disposable aluminium pan.
- Before putting BBQ on the rack, brush with oil on the upper grill.
- You can cover the grill rack of the oven, after removing the chicken from a marinade and placing it on the BBQ grill.
- Instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F (for 40 minutes), and turns it often, after covering the barbecue.
- When BBQ chicken gets a crispy brown colour, put it on a platter.
Don’t forget to serve Piri-piri sauce with a hearty grain like farro or quinoa. Add a grilled veggie with a cool salad or lightly steam it on the grill. You cab also add steamed broccoli, grilled corn on cob, a cabbage or carrot slaw, tomato salad with perfect piri-piri chicken.
Piri piri chicken is the best treat, you can make a perfectly aromatic piri-piri chicken by following the above mentioned recipe.