On Skilled Nominated 190 Visa, Can I Move Between States?

Moving between states with 190 Visa

Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190)

The subclass 190 is a point-based visa where the applicant needs to score at least 65 points. When an applicant meets the eligibility criteria, they will be granted permanent residency after getting a skilled nominated subclass visa.

What is the Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass190 ?


A skilled nominated visa is different from a skilled independent visaThe eligible job seekers need to qualify under other departments to achieve a skilled nominated work visa.

The 189 visa is often viewed as being easy to obtain. However, since the current quota restrictions advise getting 190 visas instead of visa 189, this has changed. The 190 visas were thought of as a second option and now it is advisable to apply for visa 190 as the primary option.

What Can You Do with the 190 Visa? 

With the Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190, you can:

  • Live in Australia as a permanent resident
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Bring one’s close family and dependents to Australia
  • Sponsor relatives for other temporary Australian visas
  • Move freely in and around Australia after spending the first two years in his/her nominated territory

Moving between states with 190 Visa 

People often wonder if they need to remain in the same state or regional area that sponsored them for their visa 190. Whether it is a regional 489 or subclass 190 skilled nominated visa, you are not obligated to remain in the state or regional area that sponsors you. You are free to move from state to state with some conditions.

Even if you have signed the agreement to remain concerned, you are not obliged to obey it. You may need to explain to authorities why you decided to not comply with the condition and left the sponsoring state.

Can a PR holder (subclass 190) settle in different state? 

If you have obtained the 190 skilled nominated visa and you are a permanent resident, thus free to move anywhere in Australia. You don’t have to think about any legal obligation to inform the immigration department or the state that sponsored you that you have moved. 

However, it is slightly more restrictive for the regional 489 or 491 visa holders as these are temporary visas. They don’t have the same rights as subclass 190 skilled nominated visa holders. For skilled regional 489 or skilled work regional 491 visa holders, they need to stay in specific areas for some time to gain PR later on.

The case is similar even when you are applying for another visa with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP), such as a Resident Return Visa. You may need to explain your reasons for not complying with the conditions.

Your sponsoring state government agency could help you with your current condition. If you are aware of the regulations, you can do the process by yourself. If not, you can seek the advice of an agent. Just demonstrate that your career development opportunities were better in a different state.

Then, the official authorities can release you from any agreement that you made with the previous employer. This works on a mutual partnership basis as you have invested years for your company’s benefit and growth, and now are moving on to higher horizons for your success.

When moving with a visa 489 to other states: 

When it comes to a 489 visa, it allows you to live and work in the designated areas of Australia as listed by the government authorities. This is a provisional visa which implies that you need to comply with conditions. For an Australian permanent residency, you must live and work for a stipulated period in an assigned region.

Needs Migration has qualified migration lawyers to help you in all your visa-related matters. Give their team a call on 0423 670 879 or drop them an email at [email protected] to know more!

Related Articles

Back to top button